A new year brings new beginnings! Begin your New Year and stay up to date with the latest foodservice trends. Among others, one of the 10 Trends to Watch, according to Technomic, a Chicago based restaurant-research firm, is the increase in menued Asian foods.
According to Foodservice Research Institute, Asian flavors from heat to sweet appear on more than half of all high-end restaurant menus. The trend is also sweeping quick service restaurants, as stated in QSR Magazine, due to “an explosion in Asian immigration to the U.S. as well as the broader palate of younger Americans. “They’re looking for bolder and spicier flavors, and something different,” says Darren Tristano, executive vice president of Technomic, “And they don’t seem to have the stigma that some boomers do.””
Foodservice Research Institute lists the Top 50 Asian Flavors by Application. These are some of the MUST HAVE Asian flavors:
- Tempura Batter
- Chile Sauce
- Soy Sauce
- Sweet & Sour Sauce
So today we tackle the question of how to easily and affordably add Asian flavor to your menu.
You don’t need to change your concept, just add a menu item or two. Choose a starting point. Do you need a new appetizer, salad or entrée? Any option you choose, Marzetti® aims to take the worry off your plate. Marzetti dressings and associated recipes offer a cost-effective alternative, making Asian flavor feasible. Try these recipes featuring Marzetti® Asian Sesame Dressing for a simple start:
- Asian Shrimp with Mango Pepper Salad – Marinated grilled shrimp over sweet mango, crunchy peppers, cilantro and scallions.
- Hot Mango Asian Salad – Crunchy peanuts, sweet, spicy chutney and linguini blend with Marzetti® Asian Sesame Dressing for a truly unique flavor experience.
- Asian Noodle Salad (pictured) – Udon noodles and crunchy Asian veggies combine with a little heat to create this palate-pleasing, spicy salad.
- Grilled Flank Steak With Asian Noodles – The sweetness of honey balances the saltiness of soy in this entrée.
- Salmon Teriyaki with Sesame Scallion Soba Noodles – Sweet, spicy and savory flavors mix deliciously in this dish that features salmon, garlic, hot chili sauce and Marzetti® Asian Sesame Dressing.
All of these dishes can be prepared quickly. Start 2015 by introducing a pop of Asian culture as a daily special, it’s a great way to test popularity of the item.